Wild River (Paperback)
Newbery Honor author Rodman Philbrick sends readers rushing down a raging river on a life-or-death adventure when a white water rafting trip goes terribly wrong!
Daniel Redmayne is fast asleep on the first night of a white water rafting trip, when he's awoken by screams. The dam has failed. The river is surging, and their camp will be under water in a matter of moments.
As the shrieking roar of the river rushes closer, the kids scramble to higher ground. They make it; their counselors do not.
Now they're on their own, with barely any food or supplies, in the middle of the Montana wilderness. Do Daniel and his four classmates have what it takes to stay alive until they can get rescued? Alone in the wild, they forge powerful bonds—but develop dangerous disagreements. If nature doesn't break them, they might just destroy each other.
This gripping survival story from the Newbery Honor author of Wildfire is filled with adrenaline-pumping adventure and moments of true bravery.
About the Author
Newbery Honor author Rodman Philbrick has written more than a dozen novels for young readers. In 1993, he published his first children's book, Freak the Mighty, which became an instant classic, and was made into a feature film. The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg was a 2010 Newbery Honor Book. Philbrick's other acclaimed novels include Max the Mighty, The Young Man and the Sea, The Last Book in the Universe, Zane and the Hurricane, and Wildfire. Philbrick divides his time between Maine and the Florida Keys. You can learn more about him on his website: rodmanphilbrick.com.
Praise for Wild River:
An Amazon Best Book of the Month
A Junior Library Guild Selection
"Newbery Honoree Philbrick twines a heartfelt message about teamwork and forgiveness with realistic dangers in this page-turning survival story. A battle for power keeps the tension high, as do plenty of twists and cliffhangers, which create enough uncertainty to keep the pages turning." — Publishers Weekly
"As he did with Wildfire, Newbery Honoree Philbrick has crafted another action tale for young readers that's impossible to put down. Readers will need to strap on their helmets and prepare for a wild ride." — Kirkus Reviews
Praise for Wildfire:
* "An intense tale of survival and action. A must-have for all upper elementary/middle grade libraries." —School Library Journal, starred review
* "Short chapters, outstanding cover art, and a breathless pace make this a fine choice for reluctant readers. Outstanding suspense." —Kirkus Reviews, starred review
* "Action lovers will relish every word. With Wildfire — reminiscent of Hatchet and the real-life saga Lost on a Mountain in Maine — Philbrick transforms a raging inferno into an impressively plotted escape story full of heart and soul." —BookPage, starred review
Praise for Zane and the Hurricane: A Story of Katrina:
* "An appropriately serious and occasionally gruesome tale of surviving Hurricane Katrina, buoyed by large doses of hope and humor." —Kirkus Reviews, starred review
Praise for The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg:
A Newbery Honor book
"A swashbuckling and humorous tale of adventure." —The Boston Globe
* "A rip-roaring adventure." —Publishers Weekly, starred review
"A captivating read." —The Horn Book
Praise for Freak the Mighty:
* "A wonderful story... memorable and luminous... somewhat different and very special." —School Library Journal, starred review