Event Proposal Guidelines
Please review the following guidelines and contact our Event Coordinator Emily Ring at email@example.com with your application. Thank you for your time! We look forward to working with you!
Thank you for considering Inklings as a possible event location. Every year we receive hundreds of newly released titles from authors who have just begun their writing career. As a community bookstore, we understand the time and effort required to start such a challenging career as writing, and do our best to offer a fair and reasonable process when it comes to scheduling potential events.
Due to the number of offers and limited amount of resources available, we must be selective with each opportunity for an event. The following outlines will guide you in writing a proposal of your idea for an event and demonstrate the potential for a mutually beneficial occasion.
You may direct any questions to the Events Coordinator. All contact information is provided with these guidelines. We will contact you within 2-3 weeks of receiving your completed application.
Page 1: Graphic Cover Letter
- Picture of book title
- Picture of author
- Author Contact Information (phone, mailing, email) Publishing company information
- ISBN of book title
- Price of book
- Page count
Page 2: Query Letter
This one page letter is a way for us to get to know you and gain an understanding toward what type of event you would like to see. Please consider the following questions to guide your one-page letter:
- Author Biography:
- Where do you live?
- Is this your first book?
- If you have written other books, what were they?
- Where are your books currently available?
- Book Summary
- What kind of story is it?
- Who do you want to read your book?
- What do you know about us as a store?
- How did you hear about us?
- What about Inklings makes you feel that we are a good fit for your book?
- Event Description:
- Where will the event take place?
- When will this event take place?
- Who will attend this event? How many?
- What sort of activities will be offered if any?
- What would Inklings need to provide? (i.e. tables, etc.)
Page 3: Written Review
There are simply too many local authors for us to be able to read every title that is submitted and respond in a timely manner. Please include two or three one paragraph reviews written by non-family members.
Event Sales Guidelines
We are thrilled that you are interested in having Inklings be a part of your upcoming event!
Here's what we need from you:
- Contact Inklings as soon as possible after you've confirmed your speaker or event. Confirm that Inklings staff are available for the date and time that you've chosen.
- Give us the name of the speaker/author, and the title(s), ISBN(s) and publisher data for the books that you'd like us to sell.
- Choose a visible location at your event site where you will set up a table/tables for the book sales and author signing..
- Determine if the author will sign books ahead of time or sign books and greet attendees personally.
- If possible, provide us with wireless internet access to allow access to use our internet-based credit card processing service. If wireless is not available, we will still accept credit cards, though it will be a slower process.
- Please keep us informed and up to date on any changes to the plan for the event.
Here's what we will do for you:
- We will order the books from the publisher or obtain them directly from the speaker.
- We will transport the books to the location of your event, set up half an hour be- fore the start of the event, and stay for as long as books are being sold.
- We will handle all book sales, accepting cash, checks and credit cards, and retain the profit from the sales.
- We will pack up any books remaining at the end of the event, and return them to the publisher or speaker, as necessary.
- We will help promote your event by posting fliers or posters at Inklings, and, in some cases, Inklings will sell tickets for your event.
- We will provide a pleasant, professional, and stress-free experience for you and your guests.
If you have any other questions, please contact Inklings' Event Coordinator, Emily Ring, at (509) 965-5830 or firstname.lastname@example.org.